Company : idex
Activities: Animal Volunteer Projects / Conservation Volunteer Projects
Location : Asia
Duration: 2 weeks to 3 months
Approx Costs: 750 to 3000+ € Euro
Project Location - Galle Road Duwemodara, Kosgoda, Sri Lanka. (On the west coast about 75 Kms south of Colombo)
Purpose of the Project - The overall aim of this sea turtle conservation project is to monitor sea turtle activity and conserve the local nesting sites in the Kosgoda region of Sri Lanka.
Targeted group - We conserve five types of sea turtles in Indian ocean as mentioned above.
Beneficiaries - Our project is located right next to the beach about 500 meters from Kasgoda, a small town. We are working with local people for saving sea turtles, as these innocent animals cannot protect themselves. On the other hand, a lot of turtles get killed because of consumption of eggs and
their meat, demand of their shells for decoration, injury from fishing and several turtles die because of no care or treatment. Our commitment is to support the local team to help & protect these critically endangered sea turtles. Volunteer work includes protecting turtles’ nests, hatching eggs, collecting turtle eggs, feeding turtles, caring for and treating turtles that are victims of commercial fishing and various illnesses, cleaning the beach and turtle tanks, releasing turtles back to sea and educating community for saving sea turtles.
Project work schedule/working hours - Participants will work from Monday to Friday and will be assigned at least 6 hrs of work a day as per the requirement of the project. The work would be divided in two parts. Shifts will vary as work is needed at the turtle project for 24 hrs. There are days when project expect shifts at
night as well as throughout the day particularly during egg laying season of the Turtles. Typically the shifts will be divided into 2 parts with a lunch or dinner break of 1 hour, as the case may be.
Activities that volunteers will do at this project -
1. Pickup at Colombo airport and one night stay in Colombo on arrival.
2. Home based accommodation on sharing basis.
3. Sri Lankan food (Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner) for the entire duration of the program as per meal plan.
4. Presence of a dedicated program coordinator that will resolve volunteering issues with projects and facilities. The program coordinator will be available at the project at regular periods and will be accessible at all times of the day on phone during the entire project.
5. All local project coordination, placement and orientation of volunteers in the project.
6. Extensive pre-departure information, post-arrival printed material, regular training and support by IDEX for preparing the participants for their experience.
7. The volunteer accommodation will offer necessary amenities like purified water, television, western toilets, mosquito nets etc.
8. Local transportation from accommodation to project and return.
9. Transfer from project to Colombo Airport (Airport drop).
1. Volunteers must be 17 yrs or older on program start date.
2. Good physical fitness.
3. Vaccinations (as suggested by your General Physician).
4. Flexibility and team work.
5. Respect the local culture and be ready to get your hands dirty.
There a no reviews, click 'Add a review' to submit one
Have you booked with idex? Please share your experience and submit your review.
Looking to make a difference? Keen to help conservation efforts? Apply to join sea turtle conservation proj...
Jolene Simoes from New Zealand recently speny time travelling in Sri Lanka and one of the highlights of her...
Dream of seeing turtles in their natural habitat? Or how about witnessing baby sea turtles hatching and bei...
Sea turtles are facing lots of problems including poaching, habitat loss, increased tourism and climate cha...
Are you planning a trip to Asia? Would you like to see animals in their natural habiat and avoid uneth...
The Caribbean is one of the most popular tourist destinations in the world, but increased human activity an...