Bhutan Travel Guide
Bhutan is an exotic destination located in the Himalayas steeped in Buddhist culture and beliefs. This a country with incredible natural beaty, a pristine environment and a traditional culture - local people will be very friendly even with the language barrier. View our comprehensive travel guide with tips, ideas for the best things to see and do and information about itineraries, costs, how to save money, and more!
Activities & Things To Do in Bhutan
Travel to Bhutan
Our destination guide aims to give you all the information you need to have an amazing experience in this amazing country. Find affordable travel and backpacking ideas with advice for amazing things to do and how you can be more than just your average traveller. You can also get recommendations for budget travel tips, where to stay and advice how to stay safe.
Get inspired to visit Bangaldesh today!
- Capital - Thimphu
- Currency - Ngultrum (BTN)
- Size - 47,000 km2
- Population - 672,500 (approx)
- Language - Dzongkha (official) + Tibetan dialects, Nepalese speak various Nepalese dialects
- Dailing Code +975
Top Reasons to Visit Bhutan
- Spectacular scenery
- A lot less touristy than other countries in the region
- Soak up the unique culture and atmosphere of the country
- See stunning temples
Best Places to Visit in Bhutan
There are so many incredible destinations and tourist attractions in Bhutan
- Tashicho Dzong
- Chime Llakhang
- Trongsa Dzong
- Kurje Lhakhang
- The hidden village of Rukha, Bhutan
- Dochu Laa Pass
- Taktsang Monastery in Paro
- The village of Gangtey and the Gangtey Monastery
- National Memorial Chorten in Thimpu
- Panakha Festival
Visa & Cost of Travelling in Bhutan
To enter Bhutan you must use a licensed Bhutanese travel operator or an international partner to pre-arrange your visa. A daily fee is also charged for every day of stay. For most foreign tourists, it amounts to $250 a day during tourist high season, and $200 a day for low season. Bhutan is not a cheap destination and if you are travelling on a budget you might want to consider other destinations in Asia.
- 4 weeks - 1 year / From: $ 750
- 1 week - 2 weeks / From: £ 2500
- Multiple Destinations
- 2 weeks - 3 weeks / From: £ 500
Bhutan is one of the safest countries in the world with very friendly local people.