Honduras Travel, Backpacking & Gap Year Guide
Honduras is the second largest country in Central America and the birthplace of the Mayan Civilization. Tourism is on the rise in Honduras and this country offers so much, you can see the ancient ruins, visit the Moskitia Natural Park, explore stunning beaches, see volcanoes, get close to exotic wildlife and more.
Activities & Things to Do in Honduras
Travel to Honduras
View our comprehensive travel and backpacking guide with tips, ideas for the best things to see and do and information about itineraries, costs, how to save money, and more!
Our destination guide aims to give you all the information you need to have an amazing experience in this amazing country. Find affordable travel and backpacking ideas with advice for amazing things to do and how you can be more than just your average traveller. You can also get recommendations for budget travel tips, where to stay and advice how to stay safe.
Get inspired to visit Honduras today!
- Capital - Tegucigalpa (population 1,300,000 approx)
- Currency - Lempira (HNL) but also USD accepted in some places
- Population - 7,350,000 (approx)
- Language - Spanish
- International Calling Code +504
- Area - 112,000 km
How to Get to Honduras
You can arrive by air, land and boat. Crossing by land from Nicaragua and El Salvador is fairly easy whilst you can also arrive via boat from Belize. There are four airports located in Honduras which have international flights, these include:
- Toncontín International Airport (TGU), Tegucigalpa
- Ramón Villeda Morales International Airport (SAP) in San Pedro Sula
- Golosón International Airport (LCE) in La Ceiba
- Juan Manuel Gálvez International Airport (RTB) on the island of Roatan in the Bay Islands
Best Time to Visit
There really is no best time of the year to book a holiday to Honduas. September to March is a popular time of year to visit Honduras, party due to the increased chance to see wild whales and sharks. Rainy season generally runs from October to January whilst March and April are usually the driest months of the year.
Top Things to See & Do in Honduras
International visitor numbers to Honduras is growing every year and now is a good time to visit before the large numbers of tourist crowds arrive. If you would like to travel to Honduras here are some of the highlights of the country:
- Popular places to add to your itinerary include La Ceiba, Puerto Cortes, Omoa and Tela
- The Pacific and Caribbean coastlines have breathtaking beaches
- The Colonial villages of Comayagua and Gracias
- Don't leave the country without visiting the ancient Mayan ruins of Copan
- The Bay Islands are highly recommended
- If you would like to book an activity break the there are lots of options including going white water rafting in the rivers located in the rainforests on Caribbean coast.
- Head to the Pico Bonito National Park which is a stunning destination
- The Cangrejal River and the Platano River is a thilling place to visit
Gap Year in Honduras
Our gap year travel packages take you off the beaten track and will provide you with an experience like no other.
Health & Safety
Despite being a poor country, local people are extremely friendly especially if you can converse in Spanish. Crime against tourists is rare but this is known as one of the most dangerous countries in the world and so take extra caution when visiting. Pickpocketing and theft can be a problem especially in cities like Tegucigalpa and San Pedro Sula.
Buy travel insurance to cover for any medical emergencies or other problems and before departing you will need to get some vaccinations, we recommend hepatitis A and B, measles, tetanus-diphtheria and typhoid whilst yellow fever is required. We don't advise drinking the local tap water, bottled water is sold throughout the country. Dengue fever and malaria can be an problem in areas close to the ocean e.g. the Bay Islands so you might want to take medication to cover this.
A lot of the hospitals in Honduras are underfunded and probably not the best for any major operations but fine for minor treatments. If you have any serious you might want to cross down into Costa Rica. For Medical Issues you might want to visit the following hospitals:
- Centro Dental D`Anzo Centro, Comercial Centro America, Segundo Nivel, Local 24-B Tel:  239-3328
- Los Lomas Medical Center, Edificio Plaza Colprosumah, Boulevard Juan Pablo II Tel:  239-3417