Iceland Travel, Backpacking & Gap Year Guide
Experience spectacular natural beauty and diverse landscapes in Iceland. Get information, advice and inspiration for the best things to do if you would like to travel, go backpacking or take a gap year in Iceland.
Activities & Things to Do in Iceland
Travel to Iceland
Our destination guide aims to give you all the information you need to have the ultimate experience in this amazing country. Find affordable travel and backpacking ideas with advice for amazing things to do and how you can be more than just your average traveller. You can also get recommendations for budget travel tips, where to stay and advice how to stay safe.
Get inspired to visit Iceland today!
- Capital: Reykjavik
- Currency: Icelandic Króna (ISK)
- Population: 320,000 (approx)
- Language: The official language of Iceland is Icelandic but English is widely spoken and understood throughout the country which is very used to hosting tourists
- Country Size: 103,000 km²
- Country Phone Code 354
How to Get to Iceland
Most flights arrive into Keflavík International Airport located in Iceland's capital city - Reykjavik. This airport is connected to a number of international airports in Europe and North America. Flights times from London are around 3 hours and from New York it is 5 hours 45 minutes. You can also reach Iceland by ferry or cruise ship.
Weather & Best Time to Visit
Iceland is an all year round destination and there really isn't a best time to visit. You are best seeing what activities you would like to do and then this will determine when is the ideal time to go. The best time to see the Northern lights is between November and March whilst summer is a popular time due to the outdoor adventures available.
Iceland Budget Travel Tips
If you are looking to go travelling in Iceland the cost can put a lot of people off, this is not one of the cheapest travel destinations in the world. Here are some top tips and advice for visiting Iceland on the cheap:
- Buy food at food stalls / local supermarkets - eating out at restaurants can be expensive
- Camp or go couchsurf to cut down on accommodation costs
- Rent a car or get a bus pass
- Avoid alcohol
- Buy a waterbottle and drink water from the tap
- Hitchiking is general safe to do and a good way to travel for free
- Johannesburg, South Africa
- 1 week - 6 weeks / From: $ 1000
- Multiple Destinations
- 1 week - 2 weeks / From: £ 2000
- 1 week - 1 week / From: £ 2000
Looking for somewhere to to stay in Iceland? There is so much choice including hotels, guesthouses, hostels, farmhouses and camping. You will need to book in advance during the traveling high season.
Best Things to See & Do in Iceland
Iceland is a country of diverse opportunities, there is so much you can do here. Here are some things you should add to your itinerary:
- Enjoy the relaxing towns and cities
- See the incredible Northern Lights
- Explore Reykjavik - a facsinating city
- Join an adventure like caving
- Go overland and get off the beaten track to see some of the most spectacular scenery in the world
- Witness the Winter Festival in Akureyri
- Sample the nightlife and live music in Reykjavik
- Mix with friendly locals
Travelling & Backpacking in Iceland
If you have always wanted to visit Iceland and see spectacular things like the Northern Lights you will be sure to find an experience or itinerary to match your interests. Iceland will leave you spellbound and you won't regret visiting this beautiful country. From Reykjavik it is very easy to venture out and travel to see more of the country. There are so many activities available, the hard part is choosing what to do.
Gap Year in Iceland
Looking to spend your gap year visiting one of the most spectacular countries in Europe? You can't go wrong with Iceland! This country is beautiful with relaxing cities like Reykjavik, the world famous fjords, incredible landscapes, waterfalls, geothermal hotsprings, lagoons and also lots of unique gap year trips and programs. If you love the great outdoors, you will love spending time in Iceland.