Mongolia Travel, Backpacking & Gap Year Guide
Mongolia is an off the beaten track destination but you will be rewarding by visiting when you experience the warm hospitality, rich culture and meet friendly local people. View our comprehensive travel and backpacking guide with tips, ideas for the best things to see and do and information about itineraries, costs, how to save money, and more!
Activities & Things to Do in Mongolia
Travel to Mongolia
Our destination guide aims to give you all the information you need to have an amazing experience in this amazing country. Find affordable travel and backpacking ideas with advice for amazing things to do and how you can be more than just your average traveller. You can also get recommendations for budget travel tips, where to stay and advice how to stay safe.
Get inspired to visit Mongolia today!
- Population: 2,800,000 (approx)
- Capital: Ulaanbaatar (population 1,300,000 approx)
- Currency: Togrog + Tugrik (MNT)
- Area: 1.500 million km2
- Language: Khalkha Mongol + Turkic + Russian
- International Dialing Code +976
Top Reasons to Travel to Mongolia
- Unique landscapes
- See a different cutlure and way of life
- Very cheap country to explore
- See wildlife in their natural habitat
How to Get to Mongolia
Most international tourists arrive via air into the capital city Ulaanbaatar. You can also cross via land and rail.
Best Places to Visit in Mongolia
Mongolia is different to probably anywhere else you have been in the world, you'll get photos to remind you of wonderful memories - this will be the most incredible experience of your life! Here are some places to add to your itinerary:
- Gobi desert
- Khuvsgul lake
- Terelj National Park
- Altai 5 bogd
- Orkhon valley
- Khustai National Park
- Khorgo Terkhiin Tsagaan Nuur National Park
- Tsagaan suwarga
- 2 weeks - 3 weeks / From: £ 3000+
- Multiple Destinations
- 2 weeks - 1 year / From: £ 1000
- 2 weeks - 3 weeks / From: £ 1500
Gap Year in Mongolia
Looking to experience a different culture? Consider taking a gap year to Mongolia! There are lots of unique programs available to book all year round.
View our Asia travel guide.