Romania Travel Guide
Romania is a very underrated destination but if you visit you won't regret it. There are so many unique places to visit which will leave you spellbound. View our comprehensive Romania travel and backpacking guide with tips, ideas for the best things to see and do and information about itineraries, costs, how to save money, and more!
Activities in Romania
Travel to Romania
You will fall in love with Romania, you could visit cities like Brasov or Bucharest or go to beautiful coast. The Carpathian mountains are also spectacular.
Our Romania destination guide aims to give you all the information you need to have an amazing experience in this amazing country. Find affordable travel and backpacking ideas with advice for amazing things to do and how you can be more than just your average traveller. You can also get travel tips, advice on places to stay and how visit Romania on a budget.
Get inspired to visit Romania today!
- Population: 21,500,000 (approx)
- Capital: Bucharest (population around 2,000,000 people)
- Currency: Leu (ROM) £1 = 5(ROM) / $1 = 3.32(ROM)
- International Calling Code +40
- Area: 237,500 km
- Language: Romanian
- Tourist Visa: You can gain a tourist visa on arrival for most passport holders
How to Get to Romania
There are international flights to Romania from all major European and some worldwide cities. If you’re traveling on a budget you might want to try the low cost airlines like Blue Air and Wizz Air.
Transport & Getting Around Romania
Romania has a good rail network which connects most of the country, and it is a safe and relatively inexpensive way to travel across the country. There are also Minibus companies running regular daily courses between the main cities or you can rent a car. When you are taking a taxi make sure that the taxing meter is turned on at the beginning or your journey or ask the driver what would be the cost before you get on. Otherwise some taxis will try to overcharge you.
Best Things to See and Do in Romania
- Exploring cities like Bucharest, if you have never been to Eastern Europe you can expect friendly locals and lots of unique places to visit
- Taking a road trip down the Transfagarasan Highway, one of the most impressive routes in Europe
- Visiting Transylvania and searching out ancient myths and legends in the form on Count Dracula
- Check out the really impressive UNESCO World Heritage Sites of the Painted Monasteries of Bucovina - simply stunning
- Trekking in The Retezat National Park, part of the Man and Biosphere Program of UNESCO
- The Bicaz Gorges and the Red Lake – with spectacular twists and turns the gorges cut through 300 metres high rock passing by the strange looking Red Lake, featuring dear tree trunks peaking from the murky waters at a 45 degree angle
- The Merry Cemetery of Sapanta – this open air museum features colourful tombstones, naïve and poetic epitaphs meant to challenge your sense of humour
- Explore the Berca mud volcanos offering a blatant lunar landscape of erupting mud
- Visit the Hero’s Cross, monument located on the crest of the Caraiman Peak at 2291 metres above sea level
- Winter sports in Poiana Brasov and Predeal are available from December until March