Company : Fronteering
Activities: Animal Volunteer Projects / Conservation Volunteer Projects
Location : Canada
Duration: 4 weeks to 6 months
Approx Costs: 1250 to 2500 $ Dollars (US)
Grab the opportunity of a lifetime to travel to the Canadian wildernesses to rehabilitate and rescue many different species of wildlife, from the smallest squirrels and raccoons to the largest deers and bears.
Working alongside Wildlife Rehabilitator Staff, the volunteers are responsible for feeding and caring for injured and orphaned wildlife, including small to large sized mammals (raccoon, squirrel, fox, coyote, deer and bear) and songbirds and birds of prey (Both Eagles and Owls).
Volunteers will be responsible to clean cages, work spaces, and equipment, administer first aid, basic therapy, and medications as prescribed by a veterinarian. Volunteers will also be responsible for observing and keeping records of the animals, as well as recognizing and noting any onset of illness.
Volunteers are also expected to perform minor maintenance duties including repairing existing animal units to ensure cages are secure from outside and inside intrusion, and keeping the grounds and units tidy to create a comfortable habitat for recovering wildlife.
Working at a Wildlife Rehabilitation Center is not easy because of the hours they sometimes have to keep. With any luck, you will be working an eight hour day, but at times it can be up to 12 hours, depending on the number of admissions and their problems. Volunteers will be expected to be involved in all aspects of the centre.
Volunteers and Volunteers are the backbone of the organization. It is these individuals, who give freely of their time, that make caring for all the animals possible. The wildlife shelter is run by a dedicated group of volunteers.
All year round
• Unique opportunity to work closely with Wildlife and participate in offering them a chance of survival.
• Expand knowledge and skills in animal care
• Increase knowledge of local wildlife species, ecology, and wildlife management.
• Accommodation included in the placement including the use of internet.
• Required to commit to a minimum of 4 weeks (longer durations required to take care of the bears)
• Must complete 2-4 days of training and shadow a senior volunteer before starting independent shifts
• NO SMOKING is allowed on the property.
• Strong work ethics are required: reliable, responsible, honest, good sense of humour, dependable, physically and mentally fit.
• No animal allergies
• The care of animals must be secured around the clock and work may include night shifts Free Time: Can be arranged according to your needs
• Free Time can include one or two days a week or a block of several days after a few weeks to allow for travel
• Extreme Weather (heat & cold), dirt and living in a remote area must be something you can handle.
• A love for animals and some general experience of caring for an animal is a must!
• Must read and agree to abide by guidelines and ethics
• Proof of current tetanus shot & medical insurance; Good physical stamina and health
• Good communication skills and the ability to work alone
• Fluent knowledge of the English
• Patient and comfortable around mammals and birds
• A valid driver’s license would be an asset, but is not required
There are no reviews, click 'Add a review' to submit one