Nepal Travel Guide
Nepal is an incredible destination home to breathtaking hidden valleys, eye-popping scenery and world famous National Parks. Nepal is home to the highest mountain ranges in the world, measuring well above 8000 meters. Get information, advice and inspiration for the best things to do if you would like to travel or go backpacking in Nepal.
Nepal Travel Ideas, Backpacking Trips & Gap Year Programs
Travel to Nepal
View our comprehensive Nepal travel and backpacking guide with tips, ideas for the best things to see and do and information about itineraries, costs, how to save money, and more!
Our destination guide aims to give you all the information you need to have an amazing experience in this amazing country. Find affordable travel and backpacking ideas with advice for amazing things to do and how you can be more than just your average traveller. You can also get recommendations for budget travel tips, where to stay and advice how to stay safe.
Get inspired to visit Nepal today!
- Capital City: Kathmandu (population 700,000 approx)
- Local Currency: Nepalese Rupee (NPR)
- Area: 147,000 km2
- Population: 28,000,000 (approx)
- Language: Nepali + local dialects
- International Dialing Code: +977
- Health & Safety: Nepal is a very welcoming destination for foreign travelers, you shouldn't have any problems with local people who are very respectful and polite. Please always buy travel insurance and if you are going off the beaten track or joining an adventure trek make sure your policy covers the activities. For emergencies in Nepal you can call 100 for police, 101 for the fire service or 102 for any medical emergencies.
Top Reasons to Travel to Nepal
Traveling to Nepal gives you the opportunity to see spectacular scenery, meet friendly locals, sample tasty cuisine and also go on an adventure - some of which will be the biggest challenges you ever face in your life. You will get to enjoy:
- Incredible scenery
- So many different experiences available from exploring cities to going off the beaten track
- One of the best adventure destinations in the world
- Some of the friendliest people in the world
Best Places to Visit in Nepal
Here are some places you should add to your Nepal itinerary:
- Chitwan National Park
- Annapurna Circuit
Travelling & Backpacking in Nepal
Nepal is a mountain kingdom like no other and a must-see for trekkers and culture seekers who are after a really life-changing experience. You could join a trek and hike the Himalayas, play golf, get close to wildlife or travel overland and see more of this spectacular country, a visit to the huge National Park in Chitwan is recommended if you like wildlife. There are also lots of cultural destinations in Nepal including visiting the birth place of Buddha.
Nepal is widely acknowledged as the birthplace of Lord Buddha, specifically in Lumbini which is now visited by thousands of people every year. This is a very holy and religious country and by visiting the Lumbini Gardens, the Ashokan Pillar and seeing the local temples. In 1997 this area was named as a UNESCO World Heritage Site. If you are a practising Buddhist or if you would just like to learn more about Lord Buddha this destination will be a great learning experience and a very spirital experience.
Whatever experience you are seeking you can enjoy the unique opportunity of travelling through Nepal with our amazing small group holidays. The companies we have listed will arrange everything and taking the hassle out of your travels, the hardest part of your trip will be saying goodbye to your new travel friends and Asia! Search activity, eco and wildlife holidays in Nepal from leading international and local operators.